mercoledì, giugno 21, 2006

OVER THE WEEKEND a small group, me and three other girls, decided to pack up for Rome. Not knowing quite what to expect, we boarded the bus in Cagli for a winding ride to Rome.
       The bus rides and general traffic laws have been of interest to me on various bus trips. The driver seems to demand spaced on the road, often pushing small cars into the corners of highways. Traffic lights are simply short pauses, as the drivers often rush forward before the light is green. The speed at which the bus driver drives seems up to his own discretion. Dramamine has become a close friend to many students in the Cagli program, as the wild twists and turns are too much for their stomachs. I find myself growing anxious around the curving highways because the drivers often guide the bus through extremely narrow streets.
       Once in Rome, we had similar transportation experiences with taxis. This time, however, the speed at which they drove was to our advantage. Clicking the timer at the beginning of the ride means that every kilometer is costing money. With the cab drivers acting as if they were in racecars, the number on the meter tends to stay low.
       A unique phenomenon that I have faced both in Cagli and in Rome is the fact that the vehicles have the right-of-way. Unlike the U.S., where one is expected to stop for traveling chickens, the Italians place greater emphasis on the driver than the pedestrian. Many a time I have found myself hugging a stone wall as a tiny European car speeds by. I feel that I have developed a mastery for moving between cars, gauging when to walk and when to move out of their way. Being in Rome meant a combination of navigating streets and dodging cars.
       I feel that I have become acclimated to Italian traffic patterns. I wonder if I may find the sluggish traffic circles and plentiful red lights an annoyance on my return to the U.S.
--Carrie Cross
(Loyola)

Nessun commento: