venerdì, giugno 09, 2006

[W]E HOPPED IN A CAB and pulled up in the piazza outside the Vatican just before 10am. A large crowd was gathering in the street around St. Peter’s basilica, its columns and cross rising heavenward, a palace of pristine ivory. The sight was truly breathtaking. Only one word could even come close to the feeling I experienced: overwhelmed. I was completely and utterly overwhelmed.
      As we stood on the edge of crowd, taking everything in, we noticed a large platform had been erected on the steps of the basilica. It didn’t take us long to realize that something big was about to happen, and before we could blink, a choir began singing, organs sounded, and suddenly the Pope himself emerged from the massive doors of St. Peter’s. At this point I went into shock, followed by hyperventilation, and then lots of jumping up and down. Priests draped in brilliant crimson robes processed out onto the platform, greeting by thousands of cheers.
      Suddenly it hit me: we had stumbled into the midst of Pentecost Sunday mass at the Vatican! I could not believe how lucky I was. We had arrived just in time! For the nest two hours, I was swept up in the excitement of the service, surrounded by a mass of cheering Christians from around the world. Many people waved flags from their countries and sang songs in their native tongues.
      Perhaps the most amazing part of the service was when we gave the sign of peace, and I shook hands with members of the many cultures that surrounded me, saying “pace”. The entire experience was surreal.
      At the conclusion of the service, the Pope addressed the crowd in many languages. When he spoke the language of a group in the crowd, its members would cheer and raise their flags high in the air for him to see. Never before have I felt such a sense of unity with the rest of the world.
--Lauren O’Connell
(Loyola)

3 commenti:

poetjanes ha detto...

I'm excited by the incredible pacing Lauren's opening and glad to see her lively voice and narrative energy in this post.

Anonimo ha detto...

As always, Lauren's writing and enthusiasm was delightful and made me feel as if I were there. I could just see and feel her excitement. It doesn't even matter that I am her grandmother.
P.S. I enjoyed reading many of the other student's writings, and feel so much pride for our youth.

Anonimo ha detto...

Bush is forever saying that democracies do not invade other countries and start wars. Well, he did just that. He invaded Iraq, started a war, and killed people. What do you think? Why has bush turned our country from a country of hope and prosperity to a country of belligerence and fear.
Our country is in debt until forever, we don't have jobs, and we live in fear. We have invaded a country and been responsible for thousands of deaths.
We have lost friends and influenced no one. No wonder most of the world thinks we suck. Thanks to what george bush has done to our country during the past three years, we do!