martedì, giugno 05, 2007

BEFORE TRAVELING TO ITALY, I had many preconceived ideas about the country and its people. My grandfather, who had recently been in Rome on a business trip, warned me extensively of the gypsies and pickpockets. So naturally, upon arriving at the airport, I was slightly paranoid, clutching my bag tightly as I went through customs and stuffing money in as many random places on my body as possible. I kept checking to make sure my passport and credit cards were safely hiding in my purse within my purse anti-theft system I had so intelligently rigged up.

However, what I actually experienced that first day and continue to experience here every day is quite the opposite of what I expected. No one was even attempted to rob me. Instead, I have found that people here are exceptionally kind and courteous, much more so than anyone I’ve ever encountered in the United States. When Mary and I went to Naples our first few days, we actually had a boy carry all of our luggage for us on and off the trains, help us buy our tickets, and find our way around.

My experience in Cagli has been similar. […]
-Katie Koepfinger
(Temple)

Nessun commento: