martedì, giugno 05, 2007

IN OUR INTERCULTURAL COURSE today, John said the Japanese have a saying: The nail that sticks out gets hit. I found this to be an interesting statement to consider as we participate in this program.

Back in the U.S., I would intentionally choose to be the nail sticking out. I’ve done things differently in life. I’m still single, recently bought my first home, started grad school a year ago, and continue to travel pretty regularly. I desire the “sticking out” lifestyle.

Yet, from my graduate studies, I know how important it is to at least attempt to blend in when visiting another society. Understanding and practicing cultural rules are imperative. We should actually strive to not be the nail sticking out, which is challenging.

After the first week here, I would say this American group is sticking out. We’ve invaded a small town where perhaps some know we come, but the majority do not. I wandered off on my own last night and almost all mothers and children just watched me. As our group moved through the piazza, the locals gaze and stare in wonderment. Our sheer number last night at the pizza party had to be overwhelming for the locals trying to enjoy dinner. The room being filled with different (and probably louder—at least collectively) voices is not a common occurrence.

From the perspective of being a guest resident for one month, this wonderful place of Cagli is a nail sticking out as well. As I walk to school each morning or run on an errand at lunch, I remind myself to take in everything. This is a unique experience with a variety of cultural nails sticking out and I don’t want to miss even one.
--Debbie Schallock
(University of North Carolina at Greensboro)

Nessun commento: