lunedì, giugno 18, 2007

A View Worth the Climb

SWEATING AND PANTING, Father Bruno and I reach the top of the mountain’s ridge. “There they are. Look right over there,” Father Bruno tells me. I frantically look around, but it takes me a minute to see them, because their coloring so closely matches the rocky area where they are located.

“I see them!” I shout, which causes the mother goat to stand. Her baby remains seated, but looks in my direction as if to say, “You’d better watch it. My mom will kick your butt.” I decide moving closer might not be in my best interest.

I’m standing on the top of a mountain and the beauty in all directions is something that I cannot adequately describe. I mean, I always try to be a descriptive writer, but I just don’t think there is any combination of words that I can give you that works, so I’m not going to try. You’re just going to have to make the climb yourself. I swear, you won’t regret doing it. However, I suppose I should give you a few suggestions.

First, wear long pants. I didn’t, so heed my advice. Unless you don’t mind scratched legs. Mine look pretty rough, but it is not like they hurt or anything. It is just that the cute, short skirt I was going to wear tonight is no longer an option. The flower pattern of the skirt does not go well with striped legs.

Second, don’t bring a camera. I know, I wish I had mine, but you need both hands to get here. Yep, you have to do some climbing, because the ridge is rocky and steep. Oh, by the way, don’t grab the bushes and attempt to pull yourself up. The bushes are thorny. That’s how your legs get so scratched. Plus, the thorns prick your fingers and that hurts. In addition, we all need our fingertips in top shape to type our stories.

Third, bring a tissue. You might find yourself shedding a tear. It is so amazing up here that it is an emotional experience. It makes the trip to Cagli worth every penny. You forget the less than ideal classroom setting; the snail’s pace internet connection; the limited equipment; and the seemingly impossible deadlines. None of these struggles matter up here. The only thing that counts is your ability to see and feel this moment in life.

I hope you come here. Father Bruno will bring you, and I’ll come again too if you don’t mind. I’d like to see your face as you look at the city of Cagli from the top of the mountain; as you see the goats resting on a narrow ledge; and as you look at the side of the mountain with the multi-colored flowers. I promise the view is definitely worth the climb.
-Cindy Dew

Nessun commento: