giovedì, giugno 14, 2007

A Visit to the Hospital

DURING THE COURSE OF MY EXAM, the doctor ordered some x-rays of my back to be done. So Giovanni and I headed down the corridor to the proper room. When it came time to step into the room, the technician indicated I would need to take my shirt off, so I obliged. However, after examining my underwire bra and seeing the metal snaps on my shirt, the technician indicated that I could wear neither. It became readily apparent to me after a few seconds that he fully expected me to take off everything from the waist up. With no hospital gown in sight, I wasn’t about to stand around topless in front of two men. I would never even do that in front of my female friends!

The technician clearly got my point, let the room, and returned with a clean, packaged white gown. I knew they had to have them- it just seemed odd to me that it wasn’t just offered first. Doctors just don’t expect you to wander around half naked!

Other than that, I was amazed that I walked out of the hospital with no charge and the medicine that was prescribed only cost five euros. In the United States it would have taken me weeks to see a doctor or the emergency room bill would have come to over $1,000. It makes me wonder about the level of heath care in the U.S.. It is touted as having the best health care system, but does it really? If citizens are slaves to insurance premiums and overwhelming medical bills, is that really an improved quality of life?
-Tami Dixon

Nessun commento: