martedì, giugno 05, 2007

TONIGHT, AS I WAS WRITING THIS, we were sitting at one of the cafes on the piazza when I decided to go in and order a hot chocolate. I was thinking, or rather assuming that it would be just like a normal liquid beverage. I’ve been to France three times and since they have hot chocolate, it made me think Italy of all place would too. Boy, was I wrong. The man who took the order was very confused and didn’t know what I was talking about, but held up a hot chocolate packet. Later he brought me the “hot chocolate”, which was thick, just like chocolate pudding in a cup with utensils on the side. I tried to eat it and didn’t complain, but it was not what I was expecting! Luckily Father Bruno came in later and took it from me to ask for hot milk and he fixed the situation. The man told me that in Italy, chocolate is a hard solid.
-Sarah Sullivan
(St Louis University)

Nessun commento: